GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Food Houses.

A house that does not have one worn, comfy chair in it is soulless. ~May Sarton
Sienna & I have been learning about the importance of commas. They are needed for clarity when making a list. Clarity is important when you are trying to convey information accurately. For years I thought Americans were the most peculiar people on the face of the earth. Seriously; who in their right mind puts jelly on a sandwich?! O.k, I did finally work that one out but as a kid the only jelly I knew was the sort that wibble~wobbled on your plate & came with custard & icecream.

Not having travelled in America I have no idea how different American houses are to Australian houses ~ or European houses because I have been to Europe. I imagine there are both similarities & differences so this is a hotch~potch collection of the houses in my tiny corner of the world.

First off is our house, which is double storied in part, made of brick & has a tin roof. Tin roofs are fantastic in a thunderstorm. The rain drumming down makes a great tattoo on the tin & echos throughout the house. Lots of places like ours don't have a front fence to give a more open look but in our case we've used the footpath for years as an extension of our garden. Now our area is getting posher we can't do that so much but our veggie garden is still out the front because our house sits at the top of a hill looking over the water & that is the only flat area we have for the garden. My boys use the poinciana to dry their caste net.

Next we have a house that is along the lines of a more traditional *Queenslander*. These are always 2 stories high so the air can circulate underneath & theoretically help keep the house cooler, have 9' high ceilings [because hot air rises], & plenty of verandah space. The walls are usually *tongue & groove* cypress [which white ants don't like.] Originally the kitchen was a separate building built on the coolest corner of the verandah so the wood stove didn't heat up the entire house. I really like them but they have a tendency to get eaten out by termites. My aunt had cedar beams holding up her ceiling by the grace of God alone thanks to white ants.

This is one of the newer style buildings that are going up all over the place. The curved roofs are supposed to be cyclone proof. Jury's still out on that one. Lots of them are being built out of corrugated iron. Not my thing. I like the style but the iron idea is just ugly. The blue house alongside[which I tried very hard to omit from the picture] is an eyesore of a focal point because it can be seen from all over the place it is so ....bright.


I've included this one because this is my favourite house on the island. The owners built it themselves completely out of stone with inner verandahs & lovely natural timber trims. All houses should look as beautiful as this one. I am waiting to see what sort of a garden they now plant.
There are lots of these little one or two bedroom holiday shacks around that have been jazzied up for the modern market. They are very small & hot despite the renovations. This one has lovely views over the water to the west but I bet it heats up like an oven.

There is a two story modern building behind all that greenery but the fence it made of huge chunks of timber from the big trees they had to fell in order to put the house up. I think the fence looks terrific; far more interesting than the house, which is very dull.












5 comments:

Sandra said...

I think it's impossible to classify American houses. The enormous ticky-tacky of the last 20 years or so has become the current standard, but there's everything from early New England to Ante Bellum (sp?) to Victorian to 50's track housing...........you get the idea.

I live in a house that is part very old farm house, part '60's rambler and part ''80's whatever. My prior home was a brick Victorian, before that a Cap Cod and before that an early 20th century duplex. I grew up in a 1950's track house. Houses in the cold climates have basements and furnaces.

MamaOlive said...

Interesting. Of all your houses, the "holiday shack" looks most like an American house. But to see for yourself, Google maps has a cool new feature (works in USA and Australia - doesn't work in UK yet) where you can click on the little man-figure to the upper left of the map and place him on the map. Then you can take your guy for a walk along most streets and look around. It's a great way to waste a day. :-)

Molytail said...

That "holiday shack" does indeed look like some houses back home - small bungalows...not quite though...more like a cross bteween a small bungalow and a summer cottage....

I'm not very good with houses - the way Sandra above used "Capre Cod" and "Victorian" to describe, I can't...I know what I like when I see it though LOL

Yeah I dn't really know anyone who doesn't have a basement - aside from those who live in trailers... (mobile homes? What do you call them there?) ....in a normal house, the furnace is indeed in the basement...in a trailer, it's usually hiding in a closet, I think....

I love the little stone house! You'd never see something like that here (or back home) ...prolly too cold, for one, and against building codes or something...

Molytail said...

oops. Cape, not Capre LOL

Ashley Dumas said...

Wow
I wish I lived in your house it is so pretty. When I grow up, I wanted this since I was little, I want to live in a cozy house in the middle of the country. It seems like your house is one of my dreams. :)
Thank You!
Sienna Sunshine:)