GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Leaving Home.

Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves? Robin Williams

Well we have arrived safely on the Sunshine Coast, no thanks to my sons who woke most of my household up at 4am!!! This is the Australia Day long weekend & while Australians, as a rule, aren't the flag waving, patriotic sort we do love a good long weekend & the boys were gearing up for an on~island cricket game culminating in a seafood BBQ ~ only first they had to catch their seafood, hence the early start.



Liddy was ropeable as we'd hoped to sleep in & be really refreshed for our drive. As it was we were all a bit crotchety, the humidity was just awful & there was traffic out of Brisbane to Bribie that had us at a crawl for nearly an hour. It took us over 3 hours to do a trip that is 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a good day. Liddy wanted to know why it always happens to her but she did really well; no *scenic detours*, no unfortunate lapses in concentration, no road rage. She just drove.



Later in the afternoon we walked down to Mudjimba beach so the girls could swim. I hate watching Liddy in the water as she likes to push the boundaries & I don't cope because I don't think she's as cluey as she likes to think she is. Ditz barely got her feet wet before bolting out of the surf & Liddy didn't stay in long either. The surf warning was for only going in waist deep due to surprise rips that dragged you straight out to sea & naturally the waves were breaking further out than that so it wasn't much fun.



Everyone is very tired today so we are being quiet, yes, even Ditz. Tomorrow, being Australia Day, the village has lots of things planned & Ma has teamed up with Liddy for the thong throwing competition [flip~flops if you live in the Northern Hemisphere] & entered us as a team in the trivia competition. I don't do well at these things. I may have a mind full of trivia but it tends to be the wrong sort of trivia.



Liddy began in full flight determined to get as much milage out of her holiday as humanely possible. She makes me tired just thinking about the pace she wants to keep but as she crashed in front of the movie this morning I guess she gets to take a reality check before proceeding!



However we are hoping for some good weather early next week to do a couple of the better walks ~ waterfalls included. Liddy was rather insistent about that. Ditz just wanted to know if she could swim. The water will be freezing but if she has the courage she can swim.



Dearest has his sons for the weekend & I guess will have them again next weekend so in reality will have very little time completely alone, which I think is a good thing. And he has Issi of course. Iss is good company even if he does get rather psychotic the longer we are away.



This area is one of the most popular tourist destinations, particularly for Australians who have more sense than to head right north during peak cyclone season, which is one reason we are holidaying so late this year. We are hoping with most of the kids returning to school Tuesday most of the visitors will have left & things everywhere won't be quite so crowded.

5 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yep, S missed being born on Australia Day by ONE day. But NO ONE here (I mean no one) knows what Australia Day is. No big holidays on Jan. 25 here either. :] Of course, tomorrow will be a fun holiday at our house, even though it's today there already. So maybe S was born on Australia Day. Who knows?

4 am is too early for anything but groggy-eyed coffee sippin'. Hugs to ya!

MamaOlive said...

We used to call them thongs, but whether it was a cultural change or a personal one, "thong" now makes me think of the underwear, so I do say flip-flop (which makes me think of politicians). :-D
Enjoy your holiday.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time - a seafood barbecue sounds perfectly divine!

A. said...

I got a giggle out of the thong-throwing competition. Yes, I sometimes revert back to a 10 year old, humor wise.

Constance said...

I too giggled over "thong throwing". I remember when flip-flops were called thongs. I envisioned sling-shot flung underpants! Ha Ha!
Connie