GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, March 2, 2009

Of math & Muses.


A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Ditz is back violining, a lesson I didn't go to as I was at Sian's trying to figure out how to divide fractions just enough to get Ditz on track. I do so hate math! What's more I think I see where I have trouble learning it & I have no idea how to go about fixing it. I *see* the whole picture & almost get the answer & while I'm fixating on that someone is sequentially trying to get me to move step by step. Like my Ditz I am not a sequential thinker, not initially anyway. The steps confuse me because it's like having jig~saw pieces with no picture to work from. *sigh* There must be a happy medium but I don't know what it is. I know I read really, really well early [big picture] & only much later dealt with the grammar & punctuation [sequential steps] & that is how Ditz & I need to deal with math. We work backwards from the big picture to the fine detail.

Anyway Ditz has plenty of more interesting things on her plate. The little island drama group is doing some mask work just now. I did masks with Ditz waaay back in about grade 4 when she started Mozart & we watched Amadeus. We've done several masks since then. They've never lost their fascination for Ditz. The group is planning some street theatre & is workshopping towards that end. Hm. We've been asked to please be available in term 3 when Shakespeare is again on the menu as Ditz copes well with Shakespearean language & is one of the kids who actually manages to memorize her lines. Shakespeare isn't the easiest thing to quote & make make sense so the girl who runs this doesn't want to lose the one or two kids who can actually manage it. I've told her it depends on Ditz's AVAE commitments but we should be right I think.

Then we noticed that the next Narnia movie will be shot round Brisbane & Ditz got inspired! She has done all her own research & put together a CV & found out what else she needs to have so she can try for a part as an extra. Oh man! That child! Seriously. She can do all this & approach complete strangers about working for them but loses the plot over a few measly math problems.
Yes, she found out herself what information had to go in her portfolio & typed it all up herself & she did a very professional job of it. Amazing what a difference it makes when something is important to her. She did ask permission to try for this & if I would get her to auditions & things & being the good mummy I am what could I say but, 'Of course, Darling.' So I don't think the kid's got an earthly but that's no reason why she can't try. She'll learn something. Like why math is important, maybe. O.K, way to much to hope for.

We have a home visit from our supervisor next week. *sigh* I love the lady to bits but hate losing the day's teaching, though we seem to be better organised this year. Having Flute & Choir on the same day & violin in the afternoon is working out sooo much better. At least when Ditz is doing her academics she works hard. Mostly.

So far my energy levels are coping too but of course we've just begun & we aren't doing any performances yet. Wait until November & I bet it will be a different story!

5 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

OH, that would be so cool if I could see Ditz in the next Narnia. Would I get an autograph??

MamaOlive said...

Dividing fractions is easy. Just don't worry too much about why it works that way. :-D It's adding and subtracting that put me off because of the extra steps involved. To me math was always something to get done with so I could get to reading or gardening or baking or... Taryn has come to a grinding halt and does nothing but play Times Attack for her math lately. Book work just takes way too long when you don't have the facts down.

Diane Shiffer said...

my gracious all your musical doings make me feel so inadequate! millen just started piano lessons and noah *might* be taking recorder at co-op this term, so i guess i am showing some meager signs of improvement,lol.

if ditz gets a part in narnia, can i say she's a family friend? ;)

Sandra said...

I'll put my money on Ditz. I think she has a shot. and if it doesn't come this time it will come the next, or the next. It's inevitable.

Sandra said...

BTW, I love the quote.