GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, April 3, 2009

My life as a nightmare.



A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew. Herb Caen
Yesterday.

Yep, it's been one of those weeks. I have done none of what I ought to have done & plenty of the other. So yesterday. Yesterday I took Dearest to the mainland to have 3 teeth extracted. This has been a circus from go to whoa. Firstly as a disability pensioner Dearest is on a health care plan. Everyone assured us that any money spent we would get the bulk of it back but no~one wanted to bulk bill us so we had to come up with astronomical amounts of money which could only be done by paying the bill with the home loan money & reclaiming the rebate straight away. Confusing? I thought so too. Anyway this we proceeded to do.

Surprisingly the extractions went really well. Normally anything to do with Dearest's health gets really complicated. Not this time. I collected the bill & tucked Dearest into Liddy's little car thinking we were on a roll & would be home before the anesthetic wore off.

Perish the thought!The health care fund refused to pay a cent because the Dentist had the wrong numbers on my forms. I had to backtrack to the Dentist's, get a new bill made out & head back to the health care fund. I was not a happy camper. On a Friday afternoon ques were forming & I waited & waited while Dearest's anesthetic wore off in the car. Finally I handed over my forms, the receptionist started punching numbers into her computer & slowly counted out our rebate. I went into shock. I was holding in my hot little hand less than 1/3 of what we'd forked out.

I went & banked it almost in tears knowing Dearest would be upset & would never have agreed to having his teeth done if this was the outcome. By this time we'd been travelling for hours. I know it doesn't seem like much but it exhausts us & Dearest's back is always dicey. I needed to get him home & you know what stress will do to a situation. I just wasn't thinking. By the time the old brain cells started working again I was thinking we'd got a rebate from just one tooth. Dearest had got there too so we went home, poured caffeine into our systems & started tackling the problem over the phone from the comfort of our own chairs.

Yep. Guess what? The Dentist still hadn't put the correct numbers on our forms & we had only been refunded for one tooth instead of three. Problem now sorted but I now have a house I haven't looked at for the better part of a week, a child whose school work hasn't been looked at for the better part of a week, loads & loads of wet washing that won't dry in this weather & am behind on Ditz's returned work schedule because the child simply refuses to do tests unless I'm right there to hold her hand all the way through. Yes I know she's 13. Yes I know this is the child who did street theatre all on her own. Yes I know the child sang solo before thousands at the Ten Tenors concert but this is science. And maths. Science & math need hand holding. Lots & lots of hand holding. *sigh* Guess what we're doing Monday? Yuk!

On the other hand despite the boys rattling round all day & stinking up the entire house with crab stink & Liddy watching movies all day because it was wet & Friday was her day off, Ditz actually sat down & did the work I'd left her to do. Thank you, Ditz!





9 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

wow girl.. that was quite a day you had. quite a *week* it sounds like. i'm so glad you got the refund thing worked out, and so proud of ditz for doing her work.

wish i could come over with a big batch of chocolate chip cookies and a good movie... you could relax and nibble whilst i cleaned up your house.

since i can't manage that, you can be sure i'll be praying for ya((hugs))

seekingmyLord said...

Prayer and chocolate and (((hugs)))!

The HoJo's said...

wowzers, I haven't quite fathomed the health care over here, I am not used to paying for childrens prescriptions, or xrays, etc, and can't seem to find a 'this is free and that isn't' type list so we hope no one gets sick :o( I am glad you got the rebate thingy sorted, it would help if they knew what they were doing the first time. Sigh

xc

Ganeida said...

Persuaded: I would never sit & gorge while you cleaned my house. I love having someone work with me then sitting & gorgeing *together*! Prayers always welcome.

Thank you seeking. I am recovering ~ slowly. {Actually the first thing Liddy did was hand me some chocolate. How's that for sweet?}

Hojos: Yeah getting it right the first time would really help ~ especially as I'd explained to everyone that needed explaining to that Dearest has a broken back [all held together with steel pins & bits of wire ~oooh!] & travelling really knocks him about so if it had been right the first time I'd've had him home before the anesthetic worse of & he'd be in better shape today. As it is, well some days I wake grumpy & others I just let him sleep, you know. ;)

Britwife said...

Why does everything have to be such a battle? I swear - here too! It seems like I have to fight for every last penny when it comes to doctors and insurance and everything. I feel for you. I am in empathy.
I was worrying (yep, me worry? Again!) for you when you said that you only got 1/3 of the money. And then I was so relieved when you said that you figured out that they only paid you for one tooth! I believe you could've heard my sigh of relief all the way over there in Oz! :)
I'm glad that it worked out for you, even if it was a long battle (and day).
Hope that your Dearest feels better.

Molytail said...

Persuaded has the chocolate and housework covered, so I'll catch the next rowboat with the kids and we'll come do some science and math with Ditz. Hey wait, doesn't she have to do up an essay of some sort? Christopher can bring his Perkins and teach her how to braille her stuff - give the umbrella school something to do, deciphering her essay *grin*

I know we're in Canada so healthcare is different (we rarely pay up front for anything), but I've been down that road with some of the stuff for Christopher - disability related things that had to be reimbursed, never fun dealing with the RAWR red tape.

Catpaw hugs from across the ocean!

>^..^<

Ganeida said...

Britwife: I'm sure I could feel the empathy as I went into serious meltdown. *sigh* Red tape ~ it had the dentists all comfoozled too.

Moly: I wish someone would do the science & math with Ditz. The essay we got wrapped up. And while we have done the science *reading I'm not sure we've actually *done* any science at all this term. We are so *not* math/science orientated.

Sandra said...

My goodness. A positive resolution, but what a mess on the way to it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what an awful week, but Ditz really did well!