GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, November 6, 2009

Wearing the Proud Parent Insigna.

There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between. Sir Thomas Beecham.


Let it never be said that Ditz has no taste. She didn't want to perform last night. [Dare I mutter the word *snob* under my breath.] She whined about it. She complained she would look like a hopping heffalump [forget the rabbit & carrot jokes]. She said it would be bad ~ & it was.


I think I have listened to AVAE for far too long but AVAE were one of the guest artists & as a working musician you don't get to pick & choose. They pay you; you sing. So we starched her & primped her & shined her & off we toddled.


Now this was a school musical gala evening & as such meant to showcase their school talent & as a proud parent myself I surely understand the need to let all the proud parents preen in the reflected glory while their little darling struts their stuff. What's more the little I actually saw of it wasn't all bad. I could have done without the parents behind me yahooing & it would have been nice if the string quartet all counted to the same rhythm but when you have such a lot to cram into one evening & your venue isn't really designed with these sort of events in mind you are apt to have the lighting do strange & wonderful things, the microphone not work & these long pregnant pauses while the stage hands can be heard dropping the bass drum & a music stand or two behind the curtain.


I've sat through enough school events to know what I was in for. Ditz just hissed, " We homeschool so we don't have to do this!" What a convenient time to remember this! I guess homeschooling has its uses, even for Ditz.


In the end I think just 9 of the ensemble rocked up. Ditz was on her own for her part for the rehearsal but although another singer eventually arrived I never heard her though Ditz was quite audible.


And this is what I really like about Alison & the way she trains her singers. This wasn't a big fancy venue with a big fancy name attached. It was a big inner city school but those kids were expected to rock up as well prepared & professional as if they were about to sing for the Queen herself. Every performance is an opportunity. Alison used this evening to rehearse the ensemble exam repertoire. I got my moment. Ditz does a great job of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. She actually performs it rather than just sing it. Yeah, I glowed. That's my girl up there!

9 comments:

Jeanne said...

I'd love to hear her some day!

Ganeida said...

Jeanne: we are working towards that end. Actually we may be in Melbourne next year. ☺ I think AVAE sound wonderful ~ but I am biased.

The HoJo's said...

Just because you are right doesn't mran you are biased ;o)

xc

Diane Shiffer said...

Just because you are biased doesn't mean you aren't right;o)

Jan Lyn said...

Sounds lovely...congratulations to both mother and daughter. What great experiences.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
What a lovely evening you two must have had - it sounds great!

Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Jillian

The HoJo's said...

'snicker' at Persuaded

xc

Diane Shiffer said...

;) at the HoJo's

hee hee hee

seekingmyLord said...

I am proud for you both. :)