GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly acutely miserable, racked with sorrow but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. Agatha Christie.


Yep, life's a bit like that round here. Ditz, who has been eye~rolling considerably over her history & English & made a complete meal of her math [yes, we have a math text though it would help if, when I actually knew a formula I applied it correctly!] decided her AVAE class was the place to suddenly air her esoteric knowledge. Nope, she couldn't remember Bach belonged to the Baroque period but she did know the piece they are singing: Bist du bei mir ~ in German. While I vaguely recalled the piece I had no idea where I knew it from while Ditz calmly informed everyone we'd done it for school last year when we did Bach. Not that the piece sounded anything like our cd ~ the kids being uncertain with their German pronunciation & not backed by a full orchestra. We still surprise Alison occasionally by what gets termed *school work* round here! And Ditz still amazes me with her musical recall. She can probably already sing the soprano part note for note. Unfortunately she is singing 3rds this year & will have to learn the alto part!


AVAE has been reduced to just 10 singers: 5 girls, 5 boys ~ & to Dearest's utter bemusement the girls are singing alto & all the boys are singing 1sts or 2nds. Um, yeah. I sorta get his point ~ only having heard the boys sing I don't think most could hit the altos bottom notes.

Meanwhile, as we got the only dry morning in more than a week I thought I would indulge Kirby, who can't think why he isn't allowed outside, by opening the front door & letting the cats gambol in the garden while I weeded the path ~ an easy job just now while the ground is so waterlogged.

Obviously I have mush for brains. Kirby was delighted. What I had forgotten was the builders who have also decided to take advantage of the fine weather. Poor Kirby shot back in the door twice as fast as he came out of it. He made several tentative attempts to investigate the garden while not becoming completely spooked.
Marlow just sat on the top step looking out longingly but after one attempt, belly dragging in the mud, tail flat to the ground, he returned to his perch on the top step from whence he could see both Kirby & I from relative safety. It's a shame as both the lads are very interested in our garden, a garden to delight any cat's heart, but Kirby called every time he lost sight of me & there was no way Marlow was letting me out of his sight. Much happier inside. Even happier when I rejoined them & they had all their people together again.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
Kirby and Marlow certainly know which side their bread is buttered on. :)

Have a wonderful weekend,
Blessings,
Jillian ♥

Diane Shiffer said...

Ganeida, that is a great quote!

I thought of you and your boys the other day: our cats aren't allowed outside at all as it is too dangerous and they could get easily lost. That doesn't stop them for hankering for the great outdoors however. Puff is particularly adept at slinking past one's legs just when one os looking the other way. We had a huge snowstorm with feet of snow on the ground and out he went, thinking himself very clever indeed. Well he bounded off the back porch and into snow well over his head. He looked at me and mewed and mewed... very piteously, asking me to come and rescue him. Well, nuthin' doin' dear boy! You got yourself out there, you can well enough get yourself back! I stayed on the porch and talked to him as he made his way back and up the steps. He was practically swimming through the snow. As soon as his feet hit the solid floor of the porch he plastered himself to the door asking to be let back in. I think he might have learned his lesson as he has been decidedly less enthusiastic about sneaking out since then;)

Ganeida said...

Jillian: Yes indeedy! ☺ They are truly a delight.

Diane: The outside is partly for their own safety. If they do manage to get out we want them to know where to come to get back in. The sliding doors on the verandah are good because Dearest sits there & would see them if a door or window wasn't open. The other part is Kirby is going stir crazy. He ran round like a mad thing when I tried again in the afternoon,; shot up trees, went round & round his circuit but he stayed within the boundaries we've set & was more than happy. It is pretty safe traffic wise. We just don't get a lot of traffic.

The quote is terrific isn't it!!!

Siano said...

When I read about your feline lot I don't feel so bad about the fact that mine follow me around the house and won't let me out of their sight for the first 3 days after I return from a trip away

seekingmyLord said...

They sound so sweet! I would love to have a *sweet* cat, but it seems I have been destined to get the...uh, more difficult personalities.