GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, March 29, 2010

Lessons from my cats.


Security is not the absence of danger, but the presence of God, no matter what the danger.
It's true; we spoil our cats. Since the kittens arrived we have contrived it so as they have never been left alone in the house. There has always been someone here to pet & cuddle them, to assure them food will arrive when they are hungry, that the litter trays will be cleaned, the water bowls filled on schedule. We understand their biggest need has not been for food or water or clean litter; it is for security.

This is a busy household with lots of coming & going & different people in & out nearly all the time. For the smallest ones in the house it is bewildering. Does this person belong? What does it mean for me? Can I trust them? Will they love me? Will they get angry if I steal that choice bit of unguarded chicken off their plate? If I'm naughty will I be sent away? Is this my forever home?

We have worked really hard to keep things on a regular schedule & an even keel because although we were pleasantly surprised at how quickly they adjusted to our home & its people we sensed a deep~seated insecurity in them. The least upset & they would scuttle into a dim, dark corner that required much coaxing & special tid~bits to lure them from. Their need for comfort & assurance was deep & constant. Not that anyone here minds cuddling a purring kitten but we wanted them to be happy & an state of constant anxiety is not conducive to a tranquil soul.

Then on Sunday it happened. Sunday we were fellowshipping at a friend's house. The kittens were given the run of the house but they were left to fend for themselves. I gave them a big feed thinking they'd sleep for the hours we were gone ~ & they did ~ but when we got home Marlow was miffed & wouldn't talk to anyone; Kirby lapped the room from person to person requiring from each much cuddling & reassurance.

Watching the kittens learn to trust: that if we go we will come back; that no matter who comes & who goes food & water are doled out to them; that this is their home & their place in it is secure but it got me thinking how like the kittens we are in our relationship with God, constantly needing assurance that we are loved, our needs will be taken care of, that we are important enough to somebody we can risk our love. Now if I, who am frail & humanly weak & really dislike cleaning litter trays, can set aside my own desires long enough to nourish a small kitten's needs, how much more is my Heavenly Father willing to nourish me? I do not need to be constantly mewling about His feet, tripping Him up, thwarting His work, demanding His attention to satisfy my need for assurance. Nope. I can curl up at his feet in peace & purr contentedly because no matter what storms buffet about me God is my rock & my fortress & I have all the security I need.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I never thought of things like that but you are very right! It is much like you describe, what a perfect illustration.

Sandra said...

Your kittens are growing up and they are so lucky to be wrapped in the love of you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
What an incredible life lesson! :D

I love the analogy of us being like small kittens, and I would simply love to purr at His feet all day long. :)

Have a wonderful week,
Blessings,
Jillian ♥

seekingmyLord said...

Ganeida, that is lovely. I try to see lessons about my Lord in everything going on around me, still I am sure that I miss so many more of them than I recognize.