GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Some thoughts on heaven & hell.

"Dr. Werner von Braun, well-known for his part in pioneering the U.S. space program, said that he had 'essentially scientific' reasons for believing in life after death. He explained: 'Science has found that nothing can disappear without a trace. Nature does not know extinction. All it knows is transformation. If God applies the fundamental principle to the most minute and insignificant parts of the universe, doesn't it make sense to assume that He applies it to the masterpiece of His creation -- the human soul? I think it does.'"



There was a funeral yesterday. Ditz wanted to go & I said no. I should have had to take her & if there's one thing I can't stand on this earth it's going to the funeral of a non~believer. Bad enough if they do a completely secular funeral comforting themselves with lies. Infinitely worse if they make claim to Christian promises to which they have no right.



The Lord is my Shephard ~ yes, if I know His voice & have followed His leading all the days of my life. Otherwise what on earth do people think they are saying?! Now I don't even begin to understand the theology of Heaven & Hell & I would never dispute God's right to intervene in the life of one of His creations even at the very last second of life but to trust your eternity to such frail hope strikes me as foolishness. Better outright disbelief than such wishy~washy thinking. If you have not lived your life in such a way as to prepare to spend eternity in Heaven then Heaven could not but be Hell for you & kinder by far to keep you out.



Why? Well, for starters, God is there & no impure thing can enter His presence. Frankly I couldn't stand it ~ but I don't have to. I am clothed in Jesus' righteousness, washed clean by His blood & I will be given a clean white robe to wear instead of these filthy rags. Jesus covers me. I am being made into His likeness. He is my High Priest & advocates for me before the throne of God. God looks upon me through the veil of what Jesus has done to redeem me. If you have children I think you understand how this happens very well. No matter what atrocity the kid's done, judgement is always tempered with mercy because the child belongs to you & you are molding him into the person you hope he will one day be.

I expect I will feel very small & insignificant in Heaven amongst those who wear the martyr's crown & the giants of the faith but I know Jesus loves me as much as He loves them. All that is required of me is that I do that which has been given unto me to do here.

I know something else. Heaven is a real, physical space ~ but it's not going to be much like we imagine it to be unless our imaginings are based on fact. I noticed as I was looking for a pic to illustrate this post how incredibly inaccurate from a biblical perspective most of the pictures were. I know certain things. I know there is a city, I know it has 12 gates of pearl [plain white, black, smokey or pink?] & many mansions, one of which will be mine. I know Jesus is there preparing all the mansions for believers now. In my more idle moments I wonder what God himself has chosen as my colour scheme, how he has set everything out, what He considers to be absolutely perfect for me & what will make me feel instantly at home. There's lots of things I might choose for myself, but what will God choose for me?

I know there is a river & fruit bearing trees, animals & children ~ all talked about in scripture. I know the walls are made of precious stones & the streets of crystal gold. I know there is no temple & no sun or moon because God is there & there is no longer need for these things. Paul says we can't even begin to imagine what the Lord in His mercy & love has prepared for those who love Him. Ahh, see the glitch. Heaven is not for everyone. It's not even for the people who consider themselves good because there is none good, not one, only God. It's not for those who go to church or claim to be Christians. It is for those who have loved God & can bear the weight of His glory because it is borne by Christ Himself on our behalf.

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. In our own strength we could never bear it but in the deep places of my soul a silent bell tolls constantly; Come, Lord Jesus; come. And that is why I cannot bear the funerals of non~believers. I have so much hope. I am granted such grace & I have been granted a glimpse of the depths of the love Jesus bears for me to sustain me through the trials & tribulations of this world that it grieves my heart to know others have rejected what has been given so freely & enter through the portals of death so unprepared for whatever meets them on the other side. May the Lord God have mercy on their souls.









8 comments:

Jeanne said...

Totally agree with you about the funerals of non-believers. Tragic often, hypocritical more often...

seekingmyLord said...

Ganeida, will your place have a guest room? ;)

Ganeida said...

Jeanne:sadly all too true.

Seeking: What do you think? I would expect so. I would hope so. He said a mansion...

Constance said...

Dave's Dad (Bill) is coming to the end of his life. He will be 84 this summerm, has emphysema and has literally no quality of life. Dave's Mom passed away in 2006 and he rattles around that big house alone.

Sadly he is a bitter, angry old man. He turned his back on God when he was 18 years old when his own mother died from cancer. He wants NOTHING to do with God and hoards his money. He could have a much better quality of life but he isn't willing to pay for any extra help that he is needing. He depends on Dave's youngest brother and his wife for all of his needs and it has really taken a toll. He should be in assisted living but he is obviously planning on taking all of his money with him when he dies! Not that we want any of it, we have said repeatedly, why not be as comfortable as possible in the days you have remaining?

His salvation weighs heavy on our hearts and I wonder if that's why Gid hasn't taken him yet. No one thought he would be with us still, given all the bouts of pnemonia he has and so on...

In stark contrast are the funerals I have attended of Believers! Certainly there are tears coming from the pain of (temporary) seperation but overall the mood is SO different! When my cousin's wife died from cancer 5 years ago and she was *52 the thing that remains engraved in my brain was seeing my cousin praising God, hands lifted high even though the love of his life was gone.

That's the peace that passes all understanding and theintimate presence of the Living God drawing us close to His heart!
Connie

Sandra said...

I know I would attend your service if the chance presented itself, even though you see me as you have written. I would attend because I think, despite this, that you are a good and decent person and I would want to honor you and show my respect and condolences to your family.

Ganeida said...

Sandra: You are of course quite right ~ hence the experiences I have written of but to go when one barely knows the person concerned simply because it is the done or expected thing ~ no. What's more I have far more respect for your forthright honesty in this area. It is the wishy~washy mish~mash of ideas, neither one thing nor the other that drives me crazy. I don't think anyone could ever accuse you of being wishy~washy. I may not agree with the conclusions you have reached but I certainly respect your right to your own conclusions ~ as does God Himself. I hope you have read here long enough to have realised that while I occassionaly express my views a little harshly I do try to live my life with far more compassion than that.

Constance: I think that is a very hard road indeed to walk. I will visit soon. You obviously have a lot happening in your life just now.

Jan Lyn said...

I think of funerals of a 'celebration of life' sort of thing and it is difficult to celebrate non-belief, so I empathize with that.

Big breath..........oh, just so glad to know another Christian- Quaker who actually believes in heaven. I agree there is one and it is truly not what's shaking on earth right now. I share your hope. Wondering if our mansions will be in walking distance. I expect I'll be able to walk for miles there. (Smiling.....)

Ganeida said...

Jan Lyn! It is always a delight to have you visit. Seeking's angling for the guest room so within walking distance would be good ~ unless, of course, there is more than one guest room.

I am a Christian; Quakerism is how I choose to express my Christian belief. I think some of us get it back to front