GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Thursday, March 11, 2010

What I mean...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato.

For the record, Ditz is 14. This is not old enough to drive ~ in any state ~ & we're funny about a 14 year old running round town after dark so I drive her to her rehearsals. It has been raining for over a month & I can never find parking at the mainland jetty so when it began mizzling again on Wednesday night I put Ditz out at the jetty with both bags & the hot food [no sense in both of us being drenched] & went to look for parking.

Parking is a five minute walk away through the slush in the pitch dark but I do this every week, no big deal, only AVAE times have altered slightly which means we are tight for time, especially if Ditz wants to eat ~ & Ditz invariably wants to eat.

Just the same I swear I was being careful, I just never saw the big sloshy puddle of mud. I came down hard; hard enough that Dearest commented when he saw me I was lucky not to do my collar bone like Liddy did playing soccer a few years back. At the time I was less worried about the pain than the glug. I have serious tactile issues ~ as anyone who knows me really well will testify. I don't eat certain things because I can't stand the way they feel in my mouth; I'll never be playing clarinet . I don't wear certain fabrics because their feel drives me bonkers. I can't stand the combination of sand & salt on my skin at the beach. I prefer cats to dogs as much because cats feel better as for their temperment. That being said, a 2" thick coat of wet mud plastered down my back in the wind & the rain was pretty much guarenteed to drive me into a frenzy. By the time I got home I'd been in this wet grubby state for almost an hour, long enough for absolutely no~one to laugh when they saw me. It took coffee & copious amounts of hot water, clean clothing & deep breathing before Dearest could assess the actual damage. I warned you I have serious tactile issues.

Ditz has been wonderful. No, she hasn't sat down unasked & worked through copious amounts of school work. She did manage everything on Wednesday so all I had to manage was me. Mind you, she finds me falling apart in public a huge embarrassment so it was in her own best interests. Thursday, however, is our shopping day. We have a large household so shopping is not for woos'. True, Ditz couldn't drive the car but she did everything else. She wheeled the trolley. She loaded & unloaded groceries. She packed everything away where it belonged & then she cooked tea: homemade pizza & chocolate mousse. I'm told the pizza was very nice. I passed as Ditz did us scrambled eggs on grain, nut & seed bread to hold us & it held me very well indeed, thank you! Not even getting landed with unexpected extras for tea fazed Ditz.

Somewhere in the process I believe Ditz has a menu plan. I did see a shopping list of some sort because Ditz is planning on doing a few meals over the coming weeks. OK, so she's got a bit to learn about the clean~up process but frankly I will take any amount of cleaning up over actually having to cook a meal. See I can think my thoughts while cleaning up: of poetry & Celts & plots for non~existant novels ~ something not really feasible while cooking though I have been known to try. Ditz, who has been blessed with a sunny disposition, worked cheerfully too. I appreciate my girl. I really, really do. ☺

9 comments:

The HoJo's said...

Oh I feel for you, that would send me into a frenzy! mud eeeew.

So all that cooking means Ditz can count, well theres a relief eh ;o)

Maths lessons where you don't have to sit and guide Lovely :o)

Hope you are recovered and not too bruised


xc

loving, laughing and learning said...

ditz can't drive but i can, please pick up the phone if you need any help, we are just around the corner. good on ditz for helping out.I sympathise about the mud, i hate having muddy, wet clothes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
Oh, I really feel for you - if I were to fall over in dirty dirt, I would have been inconsolable, let alone MUD! I hope that you're feeling much better, now. (((Ganeida)))

Ditz sounds as if she is really growing up - you can send her down here for holidays - she might teach my daughter how to cook more than cakes. :P

Have a wonderful weekend,
Blessings,
Jillian ♥

Unknown said...

I can totally relate to the mud issue, wet I don't mind but muddy is icky! The grossest thing in the world to me is when a child with sticky fingers touches me I shudder to think of it.

How nice that Ditz is so helpful, you have taught her well, and someday her family will thank you.

Ganeida said...

Hojos: whoever invented the text book should be shot! lol Ditz never has a problem when she has a good reason to use what she knows or learn what she doesn't. ☺

Mrs Bean: you are too kind! My car has power steering so it's not too bad but I think I would be in trouble if I had to drive Liddy's just now.

Jillian: Indeed she is. She started with cakes & things to, has cooked with me for years & luckily my household is fairly tolerant of disasters. If at all edible it *will* get eaten!☺

Birbitt: Ick! Sticky fingers! Um, yeah, not coping just thinking about sticky fingers.

Sandra said...

I do feel sorry for. I really do. I live with heavy, thick clay. In the spring (now) it sucks you in as you are moving forward, often causing a full frontal flop in the wet, goopy mud! Did it today. I want a Ditz, will you share?

MamaOlive said...

So sorry to hear about your fall. Are you damaged or just hurt?
I'm glad you have people close to take care of you.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I'm just glad you weren't HURT. Hope the cooking goes well. :)

seekingmyLord said...

Ganeida, it is quite a blessing to have a daughter who will fill in when you are in pain, needing to rest and heal.