GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude. ~ Ralph Marston.

I have whinged a lot the last month or so about Jessica Watson, Abby Sunderland & Laura Dekker. This is why. This just blows me away. This kid is 17 ~ about the same age as Abby & Jessica. Among the poorest of the world's poor & just look what he's doing!

Or this young lady. Now isn't that a far worthier ambition than sailing a boat you end up having to ditch in the Indian Ocean?



This young man ~ Ryan Hreljac. He knows his stuff & he is responsible for 365 wells providing clean water to those who need it most.

Why are these not the kids we are celebrating? They get my vote.

9 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

They get my vote too♥

That story about the boy who started his own school just brought tears to my eyes.

Sandra said...

I guess cause sensationalism sells. Humanitarianism does not. They get my vote as well.

Ganeida said...

Diane: That kid just awes me. And we have gangs so brain dead & bored they think inflicting cruelty is funny. They haven't a hope in hades of raising the sort of funds it takes to build & outfit a boat like Jessica's but everyone can do as Baber has done. Everyone. He's amazing!

Sandra: You are right but I don't understand. There is enough selfishness in the world without celebrating any more of it. Oh well, I know where to send my spare coins ~ & it won't be to pay for Abby's rescue!

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

What absolutely inspiring stories.
I'm going to share these with my children. Everyone needs these young adults as role models!

Ganeida said...

Alecat: I couldn't agree more! ☺ They are truly inspiring.

Finding Joy said...

I completely agree - these kids are making a difference - impacting on others in such a positive way. It isn't all about "me" - what I can achieve, but what I can do for others.

Unknown said...

Agreed! Those children are far worthier of praise and recognition for their good deeds! It is sad that in this world we reward foolish pride far more than we do selfless giving. Those children did what they did because they saw a need and thought they had a way to fill it and fill it they did in an amazing way. Those children are storing up their treasures for the eternal, and the others...well you can fill that part in.

Ganeida said...

Jo: I don't know why but the adulation Jessica & Abby are getting really, REALLY bothers me. It is such vanity when 2/3 of the world lives in such poverty & something like a child dies every minute for want of basic things like food & water.

Birbitt: Yes, & Ryan was only 6 when he began fund raising for wells. I haven't followed his story closely but I have been aware of it for a number of years & it just gobsmacks me. He must have really remarkable parents.

Pen Wilcock said...

Amazing people.