GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Saturday, July 24, 2010

I have a farm & I love it there. There's really nothing to do, but even watching the chickens it's fun. ~ Salma Hayek It was bitter this morning & far too early for Ditz. Even the sun was having a hard time & the view from the jetty wasn't promising but...
We had promised to make the long drive out to Rathdowney to pick up the girl for a 5 day break.

We made a day of it. Poor old Ditz was navigator. I handed her the sheaf of papers downloaded from the RACQ site & we headed off rather apprehensively. It's reached the point where we sort of expect to get lost. Being Big Picture thinkers we don't follow point by point directions well but this time Ditz did really well even though we took a route we'd never been on before. Liddy just shook her head & said, "Trust you two!"

Liddy shouted us lunch at Rathlogan Grove amidst their 1200 olive trees. I love olives trees! They have such interesting leaves. This was a very substantial lunch right on top of morning tea & a long drive so I'm afraid we didn't really do it justice but the surrounds were lovely & we sat outside in the sunshine consuming one steak sandwich with an iced chocolate
[Liddy], one grilled chicken & salad sandwich with an iced coffee [me] & a grilled chicken & salad with lime milkshake [Ditz].

I'm afraid there was some exchange of food items as Ditz doesn't eat half the things that were in her salad & Liddy never eats egg. It is always interesting eating out with my girls.

Rathlogan is an olive grove & produces interesting things like Dukah, which is best eaten with a sliced french stick dipped in olive oil, as well as olives & olive oil. I had a fascinating chat with the owner who has hiked in Nepal ~ to the very foot of Mt Everest, no less! The interesting lives people do lead!

We continued on, stopping briefly here. As a young man my father & one of his brothers bought this property & farmed it jointly. My uncle bought dad out when he married but the farm is still in the family though according to my cousin no money is to be made.

It's still a dirt road in, steep & rutted, but the verandahs are deep & the welcome warm ~ once the cousins discovered we weren't Jehovah's Witnesses!! Within half an hour all the family from the surrounding district was gathered on the verandah consuming cold drinks & sandwiches & discussing Scotland. I think my girls were a little overwhelmed ~ though it takes some doing to overwhelm Ditz! I am not the only one in my family obsessed with Scottish history ~ or any history at all for that matter! And my girls thought I was the odd one.

Liddy dropped Ditz & I at the jetty & went on to a church function, which is bound to be only the beginning of a very social week. Ditz, on the other hand, has announced she has had quite enough of the mainland for the time being & if she has to go over again within the next year it will be too soon. Guess she's out of luck.

1 comment:

seekingmyLord said...

Imagine that...you did not get lost and you had a fine lunch AND family visit. Sounds like a lovely time.

As to Scottish history, my uncle is from Scottish lineage and his only son wore a kilt at his wedding! Lots of books and items in their house. My uncle even made a coat of arms for the family. My aunt, who tends to relate the most with the French side of our family, loved the sound of Celtic music so much that she began playing the hammered dulcimer. (She took lessons from Mark Alan Wade, not at first knowing that he was quite a famous artist having won competitions and recorded a few CDs. She was commissioned by his parents to do a bust of him when they saw her work with clay.) Anyway, their home definitely has remnants of Scottish ancestry all around.