GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, December 3, 2010

All it takes...

“It is my belief that everything you need to know about the world can be learned in a church choir.”~Connie Willis.
All it takes is one wrong turn ~ & we took it!    Argh.  Serious meltdown.   Did I ever mention how much I hate Brisbane?  Round & round we went, totally clueless but when Star wedged me in the busyway I lost it.

  So this morning I rethought things because getting home is never an issue.  We fly like an arrow to the mark.  Last night we came down the highway  so I looked at the map again & decided to be very brave & try going in on the highway.  I've never done this & I hate getting on & off the highway in high traffic areas.  So confusing with all the lanes travelling at 80~100ks & big green signposts looming disturbingly soon but I thought we might just manage 2nd time round.  And this from the woman who swore last night she was never, ever driving in Brisbane again!  Serious lack of confidence.

 I showed Star the grid we needed to work, counting of the lights before we needed to turn & though we had to do the circuit twice it was not a drama & we ducked into the right car park with loads of time to spare ~ unlike yesterday when we couldn't find a car park that didn't shut at 6pm & drove round & round frantically till we finally found metered street parking ~ which was a drama all on it's own.  These things take credit cards these days.  I tell you, it is all too much for me.  We were late for rehearsal & so disorientated Star took off in the wrong direction.  Brisbanites are a friendly lot & we were redirected & rerouted in the kindliest fashion.

 The robes get dragged out once a year for these things.  Star is third from the left singing altos.


And the tree looked rather super once it was all lit up like a sparkler.

One down; two to go.

4 comments:

Finding Joy said...

I think you are very brave. I will confess here that I have only driven in 2 cities, both more like country towns (Darwin and Canberra) and as a result I am not sure if I could cope on roads in Brisbane or Sydney. I always let other people drive if I am in Sydney because if you are in the wrong lane, you are stuffed.

Ganeida said...

Jo: it is very heartening for me to know others struggle too. I feel such a dill for not coping well ~ & I'm a Sydney girl. Never drove in Sydney. lol The only city I think is worse than Brisbane is Paris. Even their own coppers don't cope with Parisian drivers! You are so right about wrong lanes! OK if you know you're way around & what you are doing but quite bluntly I don't & Star's navigational skills leave a little to be desired. lol We are working on it but they always seem to come apart when we need them most! ☺

Joyfulmum said...

I'd be the same as you Ganeida! I'm a Sydney sider and I still REFUSE to drive in certain parts of Sydney; thankfully I have a very dear hubby who though not from here originally knows it better than I do and is happy to oblige:)

Ganeida said...

Oh, Rosemary! Thank you! I find it so nerve wracking. I'm not made for these high powered cities.