GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, November 28, 2011

A little weirdness goes a long way.

But he that dares not grasp the thorn Should never crave the rose.  Anne Bronte




We have roses.  They are not lasting long in this heat but a small spray of the little paper ones or a single dark red one in a specimen vase does so lift the heart!  The gardenias are out too but the heat has done for them & they are browning  before the petals even unfurl.  So  Sad.  I do love a gardenia.
Anyway some odd things happen in this house.  Ever notice?  Dino came rushing in madly Saturday all excited babbling that he'd just seen a quail in our garden.  Now I got all excited about that because quail, as you know, are tiny ground dwellers & rather shy, & though I used to see them regularly when we first moved here the drought & all the clearing seems to have finished them off, along with the yellow robins & the little rose robins, which I haven't seen in years & years.  [Perish the thought about accusing my cats!]  I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the visitor but before that happened Dino re arrived declaring it wasn't a quail after all but some weird looking *duck*.  I use the term loosely ~ very loosely indeed.  Not overly exciting though certainly nice to know.

Eventually I caught sight of Dino's *duck* through the kitchen windows.  *sigh*  No, not a duck. This is much more likely.  Probably not the Lewin's if those stats are correct but certainly a member of the family.  I know we get them as I've seen them before, though never more than just the one & very irregularly if we have a wetter than usual season.  Our garden is being kept very damp just now, which is what has attracted it.

So, one rail.  The next morning I got up to find both cats prowling the house with their ears pricked & their fur all on end.  This usually means the snakes in the walls are moving around & driving my animals crazy.  Yes, I know.  We live in the country; we have wild life, OK?   I paddled down the stairs & as I hit the hallway floor there was an almighty QUORK!!! from under my feet.  The cats & I all lept backwards.  Yep, the stupid bird had got in under the house & was making the strangest assortment of noises that kept the cats on edge all morning.

At some point I am likely to sprook about any of the following, all of which are on my desk right now & all of which I am randomly reading: Mad Dogs & Englishmen ~ the sort of racey & personal history I can get quite excited about!  The Islamic Anti~Christ & God's War on Terror ~ something for you all to look forward too, yes? Prepare yourself, people.  We're on holidays I I have plenty of time for rabbitting on endlessly!

6 comments:

Mom said...

I was thinking, "not such a weird post," until you got to the snake part. Grew up with them in South Texas never was I so glad to move to snakeless NZ! Cute bird though--I've never seen one like that. Our Tommy has been bringing us sparrows and black birds as gifts. He leaves them by the gate. UGH!

Ruby said...

Hahaha, I can hardly wait *wink, wink*.
I loved my bush upbringing but I never did take a liking to snakes. They give me the heebie geebies!

Ganeida said...

lol Bonnie. T'was the *quorking* nearly did me in. So unexpected forst thing in the morning! ☺

Ruby: I am ok about snakes ~ far less so about spiders because I am far less likely to see them & I grew up with funnel webs.

seekingmyLord said...

I have been having some back pain so yesterday I ended up resting and reading...such a pleasure. Now I am under deadline for an article I have not yet even picked a topic. I so wish I had started it a month ago when I told myself to do it so I would not be in such a rush at the beginning of December. But, noooo!

Did you happen to see my comment on Another Can of Worms? I kind of jumped in after the boat left on that one.

Ganeida said...

Seeking: Saw. Haven't got round to commenting though. I am about to auction a husband. Going cheap this week. *sigh*

Gerry Snape said...

Well how I love the wild and wonderful animals that come up in my fellow bloggers posts....we are so ordinary it's embarassing! Snakes in the walls?!

Some good heavy reading there for the holidays.