GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Direct Hit.

It was the noise Of ancient trees falling while all was still Before the storm, in the long interval Between the gathering clouds and that light breeze Which Germans call the Wind's bride. ~ Charles Godfrey Leland


Our weather has been odd: cold, cold, cold broken by spells of hot mugginess.  Today was hot & muggy.  By lunch time I'd had enough & went to bed.  All the hot Mediterranean countries have it right: the only thing to do on a hot afternoon is go to bed & sleep.  Which I did.

I woke to the pricking storm. My feet hit the floor in alarm because if there is one thing that freaks Kirby out more than anything else it is a Queensland storm.  I was too late.  As I shot down the stairs slamming windows on my way the wind bent the trees over & the rain scythed horizontally  across the bare paddocks in a screaming rage.  Once the storm is under way no amount of calling will bring that terrified cat so I made a coffee & resigned myself to waiting.

 Twenty minutes later an inch of rain had fallen & my yard was a mess.  We kept as many of the big trees as we could but after years of drought the trees are shedding their sails in any sort of a breeze ~ & shed they did.  One took out the minature rose bush that has sheltered the bathroom door for 20 odd years.  Flat as a pancake.  No idea if it can be resurrected.
Most of a tree landed on the moriah under the kitchen window.
 Another branch tried to flatten the Peach tree.  Half of it is still tangled in there.  No idea how I am going to get it out.
Gran lost her big grevillia.  The temperature plummeted from 31C to 19C in a matter of minutes ~ & we were the lucky ones.  Further down the road the branches down are bigger & better ~ whole trees even.  A good part of the island lost its eletricity & several now have flat cars under rather large trees.

For a while there I was worried about Dino but he just beat the storm in & Kirby came slinking home just before the next front came through bringing thunder & lightening & more rain. 

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

7 comments:

Gerry Snape said...

wow...that was scary!...are you staying in bed tomorrow? I hope that the rose will resurrect if the root is fine.what weather you are having there. keep safe!

Ganeida said...

Gerry: Not sure the root is fine. It's been leaning for a while but this is our big storm season & we do expect to see some damage ~ especially after the drought. It makes the big trees drop their *sails* as soon as they get stressed. JUst grateful the people & the animals are all ok,

MamaOlive said...

What a mess! It's always sad to lose old plants, but at least you escaped major damage. Have fun on the cleanup.

Finding Joy said...

I remember those tropical storms in Darwin when I thought the while garden was going to be blown away. You have some sawing tomorrow I would assume!! While your cat doesn't like storms we have a dog that barks in thunder, from start to finish - it gives me a headache by the time the storm has past. But we have worked out a plan that avoids the wrath of the neighbours (bring the dog inside to bark) but not good for our us.

Our weather has also been odd - much colder than normal.

Julie said...

I'm so glad that you're all okay, Ganeida. It looks like a lot of cleanup, though. I can imagine that some teaching moments are ahead...there always seem to be so many with plants and trees and storms. ((Hugs))

Ruby said...

Wow, just glad all are safe. That was a beauty! We also had lots of thunder and lightning but not so much wind and rain. 3 year old is very jittery in thunder but at least the dogs handle them okay. The rest of us love to watch a good storm but of course, sometimes they are damaging like yours or flash flooding :-)

seekingmyLord said...

So glad your family and home were protected!