GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, July 9, 2012

Tuesday Trivia

When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, "Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?" ~ Quentin Crisp

Today's trivia ~ because I'm like that:



Hebrew is a conceptual language, as oppossed to the rest of the world's languages, which are languages of agreement.  Thus it works a little differently & each Hebrew letter is also a number, has it's own inherent meaning & is also a musical note.  Thus nouns in Hebrew describe the concept of the thing named.

  I became aware of this when our prayer leader mentioned she is a dog person & that the Hebrew for dog is kelev ~ all heart.  I don't think she got it quite right. Kelev is composed of two words: Ke & lev = as/like a heart.

Now I'm not a dog person.  It's not that I dislike dogs; I just prefer cats & I was curious as to what cat was in Hebrew.  Cat in Hebrew is Chatul comprised of the Hebriac roots chet, tav & lamed, meaning to wrap around.  How appropriate!  It also forms the root of our English word cuddle.

I also suffer from a weakness for short pithy comments that contain a world of wisdom ~ hence the quotes I subject you all to!  We are doing *Redemptive Realities* via DVD with Mark Hankins, a faith teacher, who is incredibly funny & both easy & interesting to listen to though I can get lost in the waffle & miss his point.  However he producted 2 gems today I though worth sharing with you:

We need the reality of Redemption , not just the rhetoric

&

You cannot love principles more than people.

Ok, sadly I also have homework so ho~hum, it's off to work I go....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just love your trivia! Seriously...the meaning of both dog and cat are spot on! Well at least in relation to the new kitten that adopted us...my adult female cats are not wrap arounds at all. :)